Certified Medical Assistant-Clinic Resource Float
UnityPoint Health Finley Hospital
Posted On 10/31/2022
Sign-On Bonus: $3,000 for qualifying applicants!
We are looking for a full-time Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) to join our team. Work hours will be days, Monday - Friday, for 80 hours per pay period, and as needed. This position is required to work 2 weekends per month and 1 holiday per year.
This position is vital to support the clinics in the Dubuque region including Cardiology, Urology, Family Medicine Clinic in Peosta, Cascade, Pennsylvania Avenue, and the Urgent Care to help cover PTO, assist clinic staffing needs to accommodate patients needs.
Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures. Responsible for tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients monitoring disease status. Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding. Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
Why UnityPoint Health?
- Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
- Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
- Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
- Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures.
- Obtain patients review of systems and history, measure vital signs, including but not limited to weigh, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and complete all necessary documentation in patient’s chart and consistent with clinical protocol.
- Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills necessary to carry out basic rooming functions to include vital signs and completion of screening questions at time of visit.
- May be required to draw and collect blood and other samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Carry out clinical orders given by provider as appropriate deemed by scope of competency including but not limited to administering medications and vaccinations orally or by injection.
- Responsible for managing the tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients to support their health.
- Responsible for assisting in managing results and follow-up as determined by provider.
- Complete tasks within scope of certificate, licensure and competency as delegated by provider to support patient care.
- Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding.
- Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient’s electronic medical record using standardized workflows and processes.
Development and Patient Education
- Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members as directed by provider.
- Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps, as appropriate to scope and licensure.
- Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
- Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
- Maintain compliance and behave in a manner consistent with all policies and procedures, including but not limited to Compliance, HIPAA and personnel workplace rules.
- Behave in a manner consistent with all Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
- Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
- Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants.
• High school diploma required if work is performed in a moderately complex CLIA lab.
• Computer data entry experience.
· Previous clinical experience in a medical office preferred.
· Current CMA certification for Certified Medical Assistant from AAMA, NCCT, AMT or NHA.
· BLS and Mandatory Reporter certification.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
· Customer/patient focused
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Area of Interest: Medical Assistants;
- FTE/Hours per pay period: 1.0;
- Department: Clinic Nursing Float Pool;
- Shift: Days, Monday - Friday, for 80 hours per pay period. This position floats to all clinics. This position is required to work 2 weekend shifts per month and 1 holiday per year as needed.;
- Job ID: 115079;