Posted On 11/29/2022
Medical Associates Health Plans is hiring a Controller to join our accounting team!
Where You Will Be Working:
Medical Associates Clinic and Health Plans is a multi-specialty group practice combined with a growing health insurance company. Our 1,100 healthcare and health insurance professionals lead the way in providing quality healthcare and top-notch insurance products in Northeast Iowa, Southwest Wisconsin, and Northwest Illinois. This position is an onsite position, based out of the finance department located at the Medical Associates Health Plans in Dubuque, Iowa.
What You Will Be Doing:
As a Controller, you will be responsible for coordinating processes and procedures for financial compliance and internal controls; facilitate and oversee financial reporting, accounts payable, cost report preparation and regulatory submissions; provide technical direction for annual audit, regulatory audits and budget, preparation of statutory statements, and provide applicable oversight to finance department.
- Provide technical direction and review of internal financial statement preparation for Medical Associates Health Plan, Inc., Medical Associates Clinic Health Plan of Wisconsin, Health Choices, and Medical Associates Foundation.
- Coordinate annual budget process by facilitating departmental budget meetings, coordinating budget schedule preparation and providing appropriate direction to finance staff. Perform technical review of budget work papers.
- Plan and coordinate the annual audit and annual report process including scheduling, staff direction, and technical review of work papers and schedules. Prepare complex audit schedules, and financial statement drafts. Communicate with audit engagement team as needed.
- Preparation of statutory statements and oversight of regulatory submissions including all state (IA, IL, WI, and NE) and NAIC filings. Oversee the preparation of the cost report submissions and prepare the annual draft report.
- Responsible for implementing procedures to monitor internal controls and financial systems and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements including but not limited to federal and multi-state income tax, healthcare regulatory matters, generally accepted accounting principles and statutory accounting principles.
- Manage selection, training, development, performance evaluations, and performance issues of the Finance Department staff.
- Coordinate survey submissions to regional & national associations in areas of compensation & productivity, revenue and expense, and FTE employees.
- Provide technical coordination of various finance team initiatives, software implementation projects, cost analyses, departmental business reviews and financial modeling.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding Medical Associates, its clients, and employees, holding
financial matters in the strictest confidence.
- Ensure compliance of all internal accounting controls and external accounting standards,
- Alert Director of Finance of any perceived violations of government rules and regulations.
Follow Clinic policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Maintain a cooperative, helpful work environment within the department, as well as with
other departments and employees.
- Accurate and timely preparation of all reports and regulatory filings.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for continuous quality improvement.
Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:00-5:00. Exempt/salaried position with full benefits.
Benefits Package is Worth Over $20,000 and Includes:
- Single or Family Health Insurance with discounted premium rates for wellness program participation.
- 401k with immediate matching (50% on the dollar up to 7% of pay) + additional annual Profit Sharing
- Flexible Paid Time Off Program (24 days off/year)
- Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending Accounts
- Life insurance, Long Term Disability Coverage, Short Term Disability Coverage, Dental Insurance, etc.
What Skills You Bring:
- Leadership experience highly preferred
- Public accounting background strongly preferred
- Experience with coordinating audits on both the employer side and perspective of an auditor
- Strong excel skills
Knowledge & Skills:
Education: Bachelors/4-year degree required and a processional certificate (i.e. CPA) or a graduate degree.
Experience: Three year to five years of similar or related experience. Previous financial management experience in a healthcare organization is preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: The ability to motivate or influence others is a material part of the job, requiring a significant level of diplomacy and trust. Obtaining cooperation (internally and/or externally) is an important part of the job.
Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
Fingering - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling.
Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sound with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when making fine adjustments on machined parts.
Vision - 20 / 40 or better in the best eye with or without correction.
Repetitive Motions - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
None - The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.