Woodward Communications, Inc
Posted On 11/23/2023
Provides HR support and services for employee owners in the areas of HRIS updates including payroll changes, benefits updates, and applicant tracking system. Works as part of the HR team to serve our employee owners with guidance and administrative support. Functions as an active participant in helping the company achieve its goals through the Great Game of Business principles, participatory management, and teamwork. Participates in various committees as an HR representative. Regularly visits locations throughout the year.
- Ensure timely input of adjustments to employee owner payroll records.
- Process new hires and employee owner terminations in a timely manner and follow procedures for effectively communicating to departments. Assemble and deliver termination packets.
- Work with HR and Financial Services to carry out year-end payroll processing.
- Process benefit enrollments and terminations in HRIS.
- Process monthly billing for Vision, Life, and AD&D benefit plans.
- Process 401(k) loan starts, payoffs, and changes in HRIS.
- Tuition Reimbursement - Send memos to Education Assistance Committee for approval of tuition; Send memos to employee owners re: tuition approval/denial; Request checks for tuition reimbursement; Maintain spreadsheets for each semester of employee owner, course, cost, etc.; Post DYKs for upcoming semester deadlines
- Monitor COBRA through the appropriate benefit vendor for eligible employee owners.
- Assist and educate employee owners regarding general benefits.
- Post restroom reviews for Wellness Committee.
- Calculate and communicate quarterly mileage reimbursement rate.
Recruiting & New-Hire Support:
- Assist HR Generalist with the new-hire process, including but not limited to:
- Recruiting and advertising, assist with job descriptions and job grading, wage research, interviews/selection, reference checks, HRIS procedures, orientation, onboarding, follow-up/check-ins, 90-day review completion, and ongoing communication with new employee owner and the manager.
- Represent WCI as an employer-of-choice at job fairs, school/student events, community events, and within the HR community. Networks with associations, groups, academic institutions, etc. in order to increase the pool of viable applicants.
- Create building access cards and photo IDs for employee owners and maintain supplies for cards and printer.
- Suggest and implement ideas for improving the onboarding process for all employee owners.
Management & Employee Development:
- Coordinate Management Development program by assigning monthly training videos and other related education. Prepare materials and meetings as assigned.
- Serve as a role model in participatory management, customer service, and the employee ownership culture.
Government & Legal Compliance:
- Motor Vehicle Reporting;
- Complete and communicate background check results (MVRs) to managers for new hires and as required throughout the year.
- Maintain accurate records related to insurance, driving records, drivers (DOT exams, etc).
- Distribute monthly billing reports to managers.
- Maintain MVR and auto insurance records.
- Assist Human Resources Director with MVR expense budget
- Participates in all safety training sessions, applies safe practices to job tasks, and reports all safety-related concerns and incidents to the HR Generalist in a prompt manner. Participate in safety committees, as assigned.
- Respond to requests for verification of employment and wage information accurately and in a timely manner for employee owners.
- Monitor and verify unemployment claims; attend unemployment hearings as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date employment law posters at WCI locations.
- HRIS Knowledgeable in all areas. Maintain up-to-date information and process changes as needed. Suggest and implement changes as needed.
- Regular site visits to conduct orientation, ensure an ongoing HR presence, etc.
- Track and post employee owner birthdays; maintain Dubuque photo board; create, post, and communicate DYKs; Your Neighbors anniversary announcements.
- Service Recognition awards - maintain and update recognition program data internally and with the recognition vendor. Work closely with the recognition vendor to ensure a smooth experience for the employee owner. Assist Human Resources Director with budgeting for service awards.
- Keep personnel online and hard copy files current.
- Handle employment inquiries from employee owners and non-employees with tact and confidentiality to comply with all legal requirements.
- Provide administrative support for Human Resources Director.
- Participate in meetings and provide administrative support to Core Crew.
- Regularly read HR-related journals and newsletters, attend applicable meetings, conferences, and seminars. Participate in HR associations, in order to increase knowledge and skills and to keep abreast of trends, developments in areas of responsibility as well as human resources, in general. Recommend areas of opportunity to Human Resources Director.
- Assist CFO and Controller with monthly reporting and data entry as assigned.
- Actively participate in the Great Game of Business. Represent HR at huddles.
- Perform other related tasks and complete special projects assigned by the HR Director and as requested to support the HR team.
Exhibits friendliness, helpfulness, and professionalism in all interactions with co-workers, internal and external customers. Maintains highest degree of confidentiality, integrity, and trustworthiness. Functions as an active participant in helping the HR team achieve its goals through the strategic plans, participative management and teamwork. Represents the values of WCI as expressed through the vision, mission, core values and ESOP culture. Takes initiative, seeks innovative ways for process improvement, works independently and is willing to be flexible to complete assignments on time. Continual learning through internal and external sources. Maintains a valid drivers license.
Proficient in MS Office software. Familiarity with social media. Ability to prioritize and complete work in order to meet deadlines. Excellent verbal and written skills, above average communication at all levels, self-motivated, detail oriented and high level of emotional intelligence.
Bachelors degree in Human Resources or a related field or equivalent in experience is required. SHRM-CP or HRCI-PHR certification preferred. One year of experience in a human resource role is preferred. Working knowledge of at least one component of an HRIS; recruiting and applicant tracking is preferred.