Patient Care Technician – Platteville Unit
Grand River Medical Group
Posted On 05/11/2022
Patient Care Technician
Position is for Tri-State Dialysis - Platteville, WI
Grand River Medical Group is seeking an enthusiastic Patient Care Technician to work within our Tri-State Dialysis unit in Platteville, WI. You will work with chronic renal failure patients who are on hemodialysis. You will be responsible for initiating, monitoring and discontinuing dialysis treatments, monitoring the water system and setting up equipment for dialysis treatments.
The ideal candidate will be committed to providing a high quality, patient centered experience to every patient. Each day will be a learning experience and a different day than the day before. You will be part of the interdisciplinary team with nurses, technicians, nephrologist, dietitian, and social worker.
This is a full-time position, 30-36 hours per week. The unit is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; closed on Christmas and Thanksgiving. On-the-job training provided; no dialysis experience required.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist the patient to the dialysis station. Obtain pre-dialysis vital signs to include standing and sitting blood pressure, temperature and pulse.
- Perform needle insertion and central line access in accordance with established procedures and standards of care.
- Draw blood work that is ordered when necessary.
- Keep dialysis equipment under constant supervision during treatment and evaluate that all equipment is operating properly. Report all equipment malfunctions to the charge nurse.
- Remove patient needles, assure proper clotting of access and bandage access according to proper technique.
- Assemble, set-up and prepare supplies and equipment for dialysis procedures. Complete machine preparation including alarm checks.
- Perform daily water treatment checks and document on water treatment checklist.
- Mix bicarbonate solution in quantity and frequency as established by procedure.
- Strip machine after use and disinfect according to procedure. Clean patient care area and dialysis related equipment after each treatment as well as general work area.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum one year related experience and/or training in a healthcare position (i.e. Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Assistant, Phlebotomist, EMT, etc.) preferred.
- Dialysis experience NOT required; on-the-job training provided.
- Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technician (CCHT) certification or Board of Nephrology Examiners Nursing and Technology (BONENT) certification (or willingness to obtain within 18 months) - required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
We offer: A competitive hourly wage plus a very attractive benefits package including vacation, generous company provided benefits, and much more.
Grand River Medical Group is an independent physician owned practice located in Dubuque, IA. We provide a wide range of healthcare services from primary care to subspecialty care for adults and children. We currently employ over 300 team members who help support the practices and clinical operations of over 65 physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistant clinics, our urgent care network, and four dialysis units located in Iowa (Manchester and Dubuque) and Wisconsin (Platteville and Richland Center).
Grand River Medical Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.