CIVIL ENGINEER INTERN
City of Dubuque
Posted On 09/02/2022
Your Opportunity: The City of Dubuque Engineering Department is currently welcoming applications for the position of civil engineer intern. We are seeking a self-starting, motivated student who desires challenging work. The ideal candidate aspires to make a positive impact in their community by helping us promote the health, safety, and welfare of ALL through sound engineering principles, practices, and partnerships. Our goal is to make Dubuque’s infrastructure some of the best designed, constructed, and maintained in the country through the deployment of leading-edge technologies, use of innovation, and nationally recognized best practices.
This is a great opportunity if you are well organized, love working with people, can set priorities and maintain focus on them, are technically adept, and thrive at pushing your skills to the next level. The City fosters an entrepreneurial environment that allows individuals to develop and implement new ideas for the good of our residents and employees.
Why Us: At the City of Dubuque Engineering Department, you will work with dedicated, hard-working, and humble professionals who are willing to take the time to mentor and help you gain valuable real-world experience. Dubuque has an established reputation for its infrastructure projects being on the leading edge of innovation and sustainability. We believe that the work we do has meaning and value to the residents of Dubuque and the environment. If you are motivated by the ability to enable positive change within your community, the City of Dubuque Engineering Department is the place for you!
See how the success of the Bee Branch Watershed Flood Mitigation Project solved a 100 year long flooding problem that included six presidential flood disaster declarations in just a 12-yard span: https://youtu.be/zfo-YDpMsgk
Watch our video on why you’ll feel at home in Dubuque:
Big Life, Small City - https:/youtu.be/eF4V6E-kxDI
Primary Responsibilities: As a civil engineer intern you will assist in the coordination of roadway capital improvement projects under the direct supervision of the Project Engineer; work involves all aspects of civil infrastructure projects including project design, construction administration, construction observation, construction materials testing and inspection, record keeping for pavement, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, and water main work. A portion of the work also requires regular communication between the various construction contractors and utility stakeholder coordination; and perform other duties as assigned. Project assignments vary in size and scope and include working on projects that are in either the planning, design, or construction phase. Aspects of work include project design, construction administration, construction observation, construction inspection, and record keeping; and require regular communication between various design consultants, construction contractors, state and federal agencies, and utility stakeholders.
Click on the following link to see the complete job description:
- College student enrolled in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Sophomore or higher-level college student enrolled in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Experience working in the civil engineering or construction industry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Engineering and Design- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Construction- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Complex Problem Solving- Figuring out the best way to solve a problem.
- Systems Analysis- Figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it.
- Systems Evaluation- Measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it.
- Active Learning- Figuring out how to use new ideas or things.
- Teamwork - Positive, uplifting attitude that helps to cultivate a strong collaborative environment and the ability to place the success of the whole above the needs of oneself.
- Communication - Ability to effectively communicate information to support organizational objectives, both verbally and in writing, and interact with all levels of city staff and outside stakeholders in a positive and cooperative manner.
Full Time/Part Time: Seasonal, non-exempt
Pay Rate: $19.27
Work Schedule: Normal city business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The successful candidate will primarily work a day shift, instituting a flex schedule as consistent with seasonal positions in a professional work environment. Position requires response to contractor situations outside of normal working hours on occasion.
Primary Work Location and Work Environment: City Hall is the home office location. Position duties include working indoors, and outdoors in all types of weather conditions; and regular travel to assigned project locations to investigate field conditions, trouble shoot technical problems, or collaborate with private vendors.
Physical Demands: Frequent demands: Sitting, Standing, Walking, and Fine Dexterity.
Occasional demands: Pushing/Pulling, Kneeling, Crouching, Lifting, Handling, Reaching, Carrying.
City of Dubuque Equity Statement: The City of Dubuque does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, differing ability, veteran status, marital status, or based on an individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law. The City of Dubuque encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans, and all other qualified applicants.
Application: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and complete an online employment application at www.cityofdubuque.org/employment by locating the position in which you have interest, clicking on the job title, then clicking “Apply”. The Human Resources Department may be contacted at 563-589-4125 or email@example.com