Posted On 03/09/2023
Start a Career Where You Will Make a Difference
Do you have passion for community service and helping others? Then you should consider a rewarding career as a Deputy with the Dubuque County Sheriff's Office. Our deputies serve as mediators, decision makers, law enforcers, and community outreach. You will be helping people in their time of need, in a community that supports law enforcement.
The Dubuque County Sheriff's Office is hiring new deputies in Dubuque, IA. We offer competitive wages, generous time off, and comprehensive wellness benefits.
The Dubuque County Civil Service Commission will administer competitive examinations for the position of full-time Dubuque County Deputy Sheriff on Saturday, May 20, 2023.
Those interested should apply no later than Friday, May 5, 2023, 3:00 PM. You may call or e-mail Kelly Otting at (563) 583-4789 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Applicants passing the written examination must also pass a physical agility test and meet the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy's Minimum Standards. This test will be administered before the written examination at the Chlapaty Recreation & Wellness Center on the University of Dubuque campus. Applicants passing both the written exam and physical fitness will then participate in a brief, but scored, Oral Board Interview immediately following the physical fitness portion.
PT Standards can be found at: https://ileatraining.org/files/DDF/Form-PTStandards.pdf
Wondering if you can find a place in our ranks?
• 13 paid Holidays
• One of the top health care packages in Iowa
• Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS)
• Family-first organization
• Shift Differential pay
• Numerous opportunities for advancement or additional training
• Maximum pay level achieved in only three years
• Contract buyout for previously certified officers
• Accelerated Iowa certification for most out-of-state certified peace officers
• Extra work and volunteer opportunities
Performs intermediate protective and human support service work ensuring the care and security of inmates at the county jail.
Example of Duties:
- Processing inmates into custody of institution, searching prisoners, taking charge of personal property; providing opportunity to call attorney or relative, advising on institutional rules and regulations;
- Operating intoxilyzer and other specialized equipment;
- Patrolling jail area periodically to ensure security and maintain order;
- Supervising inmates during meals, exercise, work, recreation, and personal hygiene and related activities for conformance to institutional rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Serving as turnkey in in admitting visitors, attorneys, police officers, and bondsman;
- Supervising the work of inmate workers;
- Attending to special needs of prisoners and attempting to resolve individual problems, if possible;
- Escorting and transporting inmates as required;
- Preparing and maintaining detailed manual and computerized records on inmates;
- Ensuring the care and maintenance of living quarters and recreational facilities used by inmates;
- Performing laundry duty as assigned;
- Arranging visits, inspecting items brought into the jail, checking incoming and outgoing mail;
- Overseeing the serving of meals to inmates;
- Distributing and administering medications as prescribed;
- Maintain a clean workspace;
A high school graduate with a diploma as determined by the State Department of Public Instruction, or if the person has a G.E.D., then a minimum of an associate of arts degree or college degree, and some experience in law enforcement.
Satisfactory driving record and possession of a valid Driver's License.
- Drive a motor vehicle;
- Assist with the control of jail inmates;
- Take persons into custody;
- Physically restrain/control an inmate physically resisting a lawful order.
- Transport persons to jail, courthouse, hospital, or other medical facility;
- Use departmental equipment, including telephones, computers, and radios;
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Be able to smell potentially dangerous orders.