Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Posted On 03/09/2023
Loras College is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an educational and work environment that is inclusive, rich in diversity, and supportive of all students, faculty and staff. Individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the women's basketball program within the guidelines set forth by Loras College, American Rivers Conference (ARC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Division III. Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics, performs a variety of administrative duties.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Oversees the identification, evaluation, and recruitment of potential Women's Basketball student-athletes.
- Monitors the academic progress of each Women's Basketball student-athlete in the program.
- Coordinates the physical development of each student-athlete through appropriate condition, strength, and practice sessions.
- Recruits, hires, and evaluates Assistant Women's Basketball coaches.
- Directs and monitors the duties of the program's assistant coaches.
- Stands accessible to the media, alumni, boosters, and general public to publicize and promote the program, in coordination with the Director of Athletics.
- Advises and counsels student-athletes academically, athletically and socially.
- Fiscally responsible for all areas of the Women's Basketball budgets and Men's Basketball recruiting, including budget proposal, accounting, and expenditure.
- Recommends and oversees the purchase of new Women's Basketball equipment, supplies, and uniforms.
- Assists in the coordination of travel arrangements for road trips.
- Oversees the development of the game schedule with the Director of Athletics.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Assertiveness - Ability to act in a self-confident manner to facilitate completion of a work assignment or to defend a position or idea.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Competitiveness - Willingness to strive to get ahead or to finish projects.
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Enthusiastic - Ability to bring energy to the performance of a task.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Goal Oriented - Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Motivation - Ability to inspire oneself and others to reach a goal and/or perform to the best of their ability.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one's ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three years of successful head coaching experience in basketball at the high-school, college or university level, or equivalent.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Other Requirements: Respect for and solid representation of the Catholic, liberal arts, residential mission and environment. Knowledge of NCAA/ARC rules and regulations. Good understanding of motivational skills and the ability to implement them. Knowledge of computer and internet applications to recruiting systems and data management. Understanding of budget and reporting requirements. Excellent leadership abilities. Able to organize, coordinate, and direct team activities. Strong oral and written communication abilities. Excellent public relation skills. Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite. Demonstrated ability to recruit effectively. Strong interpersonal skills to represent the college and effectively interact with student-athletes, faculty, and staff. Strong administrative skills to plan, organize, and implement a quality team and program. Diagnostic and strategic techniques needed to prepare athletes for competition. Must exhibit and provide a positive role model for student-athletes.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE. Applicants must go to: http://loras.applicantpool.com to apply. Please upload: your letter of application and resume. The finalist will need to pass a background check before receiving a written employment offer.