Equipment Operator I – Street Maintenance Sign Technician
City of Dubuque
Posted On 05/25/2023
Under general direction and reporting to the Public Works Field Supervisor, the Sign Technician operates medium and heavy equipment and performs and supervises performance of a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance, and operation of public works facilities; and performs related work as required.
- Safely operates roller, backhoe/loader, sewer jet/vac vehicle, pumps, hydraulic impact hammer, self-propelled street sweeper, wheel loader, snow plow, jet flusher, mini excavator, aerial bucket, anti-icing unit and other trucks and vehicles in various maintenance and construction tasks
- Repairs or replaces street, pedestrian, and informational signage.
- Repairs or replaces curbs, sections of concrete and asphalt streets, walls, and steps.
- Call in for locates when installing signposts through Iowa OneCall.
- Assists Traffic Signal Technician IIs when needed.
- Responds to internal and external questions and requests in a professional and courteous manner.
- Excavates and backfills trenches with hand tools; cleans and inspects sanitary and storm sewers; loads and unloads trucks containing heavy materials; shovels asphalt/rock, sand, gravel and spreads and rakes asphalt; and operates miscellaneous manual and power tools including jack hammer, air compressor, pick, shovel, sledgehammer, grinder, drill, and pipe wrench
- Takes initiative to cross train self and others in various areas to strengthen knowledge base and provide support to other departments or divisions
- Performs extensive snow and ice control operational duties - individually, as a team member, or as a team leader
- Assists with various duties as necessary across departments or divisions within Public Works.
- Checks tires, oil, lubricants, water levels, lights and fuel in vehicles and equipment; washes, adjusts, and performs minor repair and maintenance on vehicles and equipment; and maintains time and other records
- Consistently ensures and reinforces the proper use and compliance of safety protocols, both on and off job sites, for self and others.
This position requires sitting, standing, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing, reaching, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, grasping and repetitive motions in the performance of daily duties. The position also requires both near and far vision (with or without corrective device) while performing maintenance inspection of equipment. The need to lift, drag, and push vehicles, motors, engines, and other equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds is also required. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to have acceptable hearing (with or without corrective device) and safely work with power and noise-producing tools and equipment and to drive a motorized vehicle.
Works in all weather conditions, including wet, hot/cold, indoors and outdoors. Depending on the need, the Operator I will be expected to work a range of shifts: regular, evening and weekend shift work. This position involves working outdoors, responding to weather related emergency operations as needed and being on call at various times throughout the year including holidays and weekends as assigned.
- At least one years’ experience operating light, medium, and heavy construction equipment
- At least one years’ experience in asphalt and concrete maintenance and repairs
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Possession of and ability to maintain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License with air brakes, combination, and tanker endorsements
- At least one years’ experience in data entry
- Proven ability in welding
- Prior experience in setting up necessary traffic control using MUTCD standards
- Previous experience in Public Works’ Snow and/or Ice Control Operations
- Knowledge of American Public Works Association OneCall standards
- Previous experience with installing and maintaining street signs
- Sign fabrication experience
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
The City of Dubuque is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.