PUBLIC WORKS CREWMEMBER
City of Dyersville
Posted On 08/30/2023
PUBLIC WORKS CREWMEMBER
General Statement of Duties: A public works crewmember provides the labor to operate and maintain streets, water, sewer, and parks/playgrounds for Dyersville.
Description of Work: The Public Works Crewmember performs a diverse range of manual, skilled, and semi-skilled tasks across various locations within the City of Dyersville. They are responsible for repairing and maintaining city buildings, vehicles, machinery, equipment, water distribution systems, sanitary sewer collection systems, flood and stormwater control systems, streets, parks, playgrounds, and other city facilities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Streets and Roadways Maintenance: Operate snowplows, salt streets, and clear snow and ice from streets and sidewalks. Perform grading of alleys, patch potholes, and repair deteriorated street sections. Operate street sweepers, paint curbs, center lines, and parking lines. Replace street, traffic, and informational signs. Install and repair
- Water Distribution System: Detect, excavate, and repair broken and leaking water mains, valves, and fire hydrants. Locate water mains, inspect water tap-on devices, and maintain fire hydrants. Oversee water service shut-offs, water meter installations and repairs, and operation of municipal wells and drinking water treatment
- Sanitary Sewer Collection System: Identify, excavate, and repair broken and leaking sewer mains and pumps. Locate sewer mains, inspect tap-on devices and clean sewer mains. Maintain and repair manholes. Assist in the operation and maintenance of the sewer treatment
- Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance: Perform maintenance on city vehicles, machinery, and equipment, including oil changes, tire replacements, battery replacements, etc. Refuel and wash vehicles and equipment and replace minor engine and equipment
- Storm Sewer and Flood Control: Clean and repair storm sewer intakes and mains. Maintain and repair flood gate equipment and machinery. Install and operate emergency flood
- City Facilities Maintenance: Repair and maintain city buildings, structures, and facilities. Perform tasks such as repairing roofs, walls, foundations, doors, windows, concrete repair of stairs and sidewalks, custodial duties, and replacing
- Parks and Playgrounds: Maintain, repair, and improve parks and playgrounds by trimming trees, mowing grass, removing trees, spraying weeds, handling trash removal, and repairing playground equipment and
- Other Responsibilities: Undertake any additional duties as
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities: Proficiency in materials, equipment, tools, and techniques for building, street, water, sewer, and parks/grounds maintenance and construction. Skilled in operating various heavy equipment including dump trucks, backhoes, tractors, and attachments. Ability to lift and carry objects up to 100 lbs. Capable of working extended hours in extreme weather conditions. Effective in following oral and written instructions. Able to work both independently and as part of a team. Competent in safely operating vehicles, equipment, and machinery.
Education, Experience, and Training: The Public Works Crewmember role requires a High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of three years of work experience in general construction, truck driving, and/or heavy equipment operations.
Hours, Location and Compensation: This position is full-time. Working hours will be determined by the Public Works Director. Compensation will be based on the candidate's education and work experience.
The City of Dyersville is an AA/EOE employer.