City of Dyersville
Posted On 08/30/2023
General Statement of Duties: The Wastewater Operator is responsible for the efficient operation, maintenance, and upkeep of the city's wastewater treatment facility, sanitary sewer collection system, and flood and stormwater control systems. This role ensures compliance with regulatory standards and contributes to the overall functionality of Dyersville's wastewater infrastructure.
Description of Work: The Wastewater Operator performs manual, skilled, and semi-skilled tasks at various locations throughout the City of Dyersville. The position involves operating and maintaining equipment, performing repairs, conducting inspections, and preparing reports as necessary.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate, maintain, repair, and enhance the wastewater treatment facility, equipment, and pumps. Prepare and submit required reports to federal and state agencies to ensure regulatory
- Maintain, repair, replace, and optimize the sanitary sewer collection system. Identify, excavate, and repair broken and leaking sewer mains and pumps. Locate sewer mains and inspect tap-on devices. Jet and clean sewer mains, as well as maintain and repair manholes.
- Maintain, repair, replace, and enhance storm sewer and flood control systems. Clean and repair storm sewer intakes and mains. Maintain and repair flood gate equipment and machinery. Install and operate emergency flood
- Contribute to snow removal efforts, including plowing snow, salting streets, and clearing snow and ice from streets and
- Perform any additional duties as
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities: Proficiency in the materials, equipment, tools, and techniques used in sewer maintenance and construction. Skilled in operating various vehicles and heavy equipment, such as dump trucks, backhoes, tractors, and attachments. Capable of lifting and carrying large objects up to 100 lbs. Able to work extended hours in extreme weather conditions. Effective at following oral and written instructions. Capable of working both independently and as part of a multi-person crew. Skilled in the safe operation of vehicles, equipment, and machinery.
Education, Experience, and Training: Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent. At least three years of experience in wastewater operations, truck driving, and heavy equipment operations. Possession of an Iowa Grade 2 Wastewater Operator License, with the capability to obtain an Iowa Grade 3 Wastewater Operator License.
Hours, Location, and Compensation: This position is full-time. The Public Works Director will determine working hours. Compensation will be commensurate with education and work experience.
The City of Dyersville is an AA/EOE employer.