Posted On 02/17/2023
Regional Office of Education #8
Jo Daviess & Stephenson Counties Job Description
Jo Daviess Office Call: 815-747-3192 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Freeport office Call: 815-599-1408 or email: email@example.com
TITLE: Parent Educator
DEPARTMENT: Family Enrichment Program (East Dubuque or Freeport Office)
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood or Human Services field
preferred. Minimum high school diploma required; two years of
supervised work experience with young children and/or parents
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (e.g., nonjudgmental, objective, reflective, empathic, patient, tactful)
- Must demonstrate successful experience and leadership in establishing partnerships in support of families with young children within schools and communities.
- Must have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Computer skills; including web browsing, email, internet, and word- processing
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated (often in the field)
- Upon hire, the parent educator must complete the Parents Teachers Foundational and Model Implementation Trainings
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
WORK SCHEDULE: 12-month position, 35 hrs./wk.
BENEFITS: Individual health, dental, vision insurance paid for by employer
Flexible benefit plan
State of Illinois Retirement System
- Plan and Implement a developmentally appropriate home-based program for infants and toddlers and their parents based upon Illinois State Board of Education’s Birth to Three Program Standards and Parents as Teachers model.
- Implement the Parents as Teachers program, which includes partnerships with parents, schools, community organizations, and health care providers.
- Recruit and enroll parents during pregnancy and with children from birth to age three and plan and participate in recruitments events held by the program (as applicable).
- Plan, provide and document personal visits focused on parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting, and family well-being.
- Complete family centered assessments, health reviews, and developmental screenings with enrolled families.
- Complete outcomes with families to include: Piccolo, CES-D Depression screening, and Relationship Assessment Tool with enrolled families and make appropriate referrals as needed.
- Develop an Individual Family Goal Plan and other documentation with each family and routinely revisit and update the plan.
- Connect families to resources that help them reach their goals and address their needs.
- Help parents and children transition to other services as needed, to preschool, or other providers in area.
- Serve as a model of professionalism through interactions with children, parents, community and school partners, and program staff.
- Provide birth to three community screenings.
- Complete and submit in timely manner documentation as determined appropriate by the Coordinator, ISBE, and Parents as Teachers.
- Obtain competency-based professional development and renew parent educator certification annually. This may also include videotaping home visits for reflective supervision and/or for staff meeting skill-building development.
- Participate in at least two hours of reflective supervision monthly and at least 2 hours of staff meetings monthly.
- Plan and conduct parent and child groups as assigned to give families an opportunity to build social connections with each other.
- Engage in parent-child interaction activities, an increase their knowledge of ways to support children’s development.
- Learn and document information in Visit Tracker or Penelope Data System.
- Maintain and submit in a timely way all required family and program documentation.
- Organize and inventory supplies/materials, etc.
- Participate in PAT Quality Endorsement and Improvement Process, Continuous Quality Improvement, and ISBE monitoring requirements, which will include monitoring interview, file reviews, and videotaping of visits.
- Perform other duties called for within the position as needed.