Posted On 09/07/2023
- Develop an understanding of the area and issues to be able to initiate news sources and contacts to assist in stories.
- Write accurate, fair, timely and interesting news, sports, and feature stories for weekly publications and special sections and magazines, following AP style.
- Take accurate and complete notes while covering meetings and interviewing, using tape recorder as back up.
- Take fresh and interesting photos and videos for news and feature coverage, meeting reproduction needs, getting accurate identities of all people and places in the photos and write clear, accurate and interesting cutlines.
- Meet all deadlines as assigned.
- Represent the newspaper in service areas.
- Monitor ongoing news and issues in the area.
- Assist in creation of, and adhere to, WCI policies and journalistic ethics.
- Maintain a commitment to internal and external customer service.
- Adhere to WCI policies and journalistic ethics.
- Actively participates in the Great Game of Business.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge: Bachelor's degree or equivalent; preferred two years of newspaper or related media/communications experience; familiarity with overall newspaper operations, current events and history.
Skills: English language; spelling; communication; goal setting; computer operation; time management, photography; ability to perform efficiently and accurately on deadline. Reporting, interviewing, writing, typing, planning and organizing.
Behavior: Exhibits a commitment to quality and service. Is a team player. Has ability to be objective. Is capable of accepting constructive criticism; communicative with other staff members and supervisors; has good creativity and eye for design; is a good representative of the Galena Gazette; colleagues as a member of the journalism profession. Conducts self in a professional manner, with dress and self-care appropriate for the job. Maintains a valid driverâs license.