Posted On 06/30/2023
- Write news/sports and feature stories for both print and online as assigned by managing editor.
- Take news and feature photos and video as assigned.
- Work in a professional manner with the public, representing our company in a positive way.
- Develop an understanding of the area and issues to be able to initiate news sources and contacts to assist in stories.
- Write accurate, fair, timely and interesting news and feature stories for weekly publications and special sections and magazines, following AP style.
- Take accurate and complete notes while covering meetings and interviewing, using tape recorder as needed.
- Take fresh and interesting photos and videos for news and feature coverage, meeting reproduction needs, getting accurate identities of all people and places in the photos and write clear, accurate and interesting cutlines.
- Assist with drop off of inserts and other publication needs.
- Monitor ongoing news and issues in the area.
- Meet all deadlines as assigned.
- Represent the newspaper in service areas.
- Maintain a commitment to internal and external customer service.
- Actively participate in the Great Game of Business.
- Adhere to WCI policies and journalistic ethics.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge: High school degree or equivalent; preferred two years or more of continued education; prefer some newspaper or related media/communications experience; familiarity with overall newspaper operations, current events and history.
Skills: English language; spelling; communication; goal setting; computer operation; time management, photography; ability to perform efficiently and accurately on deadline. Reporting, interviewing, writing, typing, planning and organizing.
Behavior: Exhibits a commitment to quality and service. Is a team player. Has ability to be objective. Is capable of accepting constructive criticism; communicative with other staff members and supervisors; has good creativity and eye for design; is a good representative of the Dyersville Commercial, Cascade Pioneer and Manchester Press. Conducts self in a professional manner as a member of the journalism profession, with appearance and self-care appropriate for the job. Maintains a valid drivers license.