Banquet Associate/Banquet Bartender
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
Posted On 05/24/2023
The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is an outgrowth of the Dubuque County Historical Society, which also operates the Mathias Ham Historic Site, is home to the National Rivers Hall of Fame, and supports a national outreach program called RiverWorks Discovery. Its mission is to inspire stewardship by creating educational experiences where history and rivers come alive.
Banquet Associates and Banquet Bartenders are part of a team that coordinate and help to manage all aspects of afterhours banquet operations for groups hosting events at the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium. An ideal candidate is someone that can take direction and contribute to a team setting, has exceptional service skills, is organized, and positively portrays the organization. This position requires a flexible schedule working evening and weekend hours. This position is paid hourly with an opportunity to earn additional income.
The Dubuque County Historical Society and its properties, the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium and Mathias Ham Historic Site, are committed to embracing diversity, practicing equity, and ensuring accessibility and inclusion. We continually strive to achieve a welcoming environment in all our spaces, where our staff and community feel reflected and valued for their unique perspectives and backgrounds. DEAI values guide and impact all the decisions the museum makes, both internal and external.
• Banquet Associates: Work under the direction of the Sales & Banquet Manager along with banquet team assisting in all aspects of the event including but not limited to: tables/chairs set up/tear down, food service, help bartenders, dish washing, etc.
• Banquet Bartenders: Work under the direction of the Sales & Banquet Manager along with banquet team assisting in all aspects of the event including but not limited to: tables/chairs set up/tear down, managing bar set up/tear down, bar operations and bar needs of specific event, cash handling, etc.
• Provide an exceptional experience for all guests of the DCHS and NMRM&A
• Communicate effectively with Sales & Banquet Manager and banquet staff to ensure all event needs are met
• Present the museum positively by maintaining clean and presentable work areas
• Previous customer service experience with banquet and/or bartending experience preferred, but not required
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Must maintain composure, objectivity, and quick decision-making under pressure
• Cash-handling experience
• Ability to prioritize, focus, and manage time effectively
• Compliance with the mission of the DCHS and the NMRM&A
• Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
• Must be able to perform any physical demands of job duties, either with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Final candidates will be subject to a reference and background check.
How to apply
To learn more, visit www.rivermuseum.com/apply. From website, download application and email to email@example.com or mail/deliver in person Attn: Teri Witt to 350 E. 3rd St., Dubuque, IA.
Research suggests that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that any applicant is able to meet all of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if you are drawn to this position and feel your strengths would be an asset to the organization, we highly encourage you to apply.