RN-Home Care Skilled Nursing
UnityPoint Health Finley Hospital
Posted On 11/14/2022
Sign On Bonus: $10,000 for qualifying applicants!
Work hours will be Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, for 64 hours per pay period. There is a holiday and weekend rotation. This position does have on-call.
The Home Care Registered Nurse (RN) uses clinical nursing knowledge, physical assessment, teaching and procedural skills to deliver high-quality patient care in the patient’s place of residence. The Home Care RN develops and oversees the home health plan of care under the direction of the physician and ensures appropriate interdisciplinary involvement to ensure the best outcome for each patient. The Home Care RN delivers patient care directed by the physician as established in the home health plan of care that is consistent with clinical best practices and results in high quality, improved outcomes and exceptional patient experience.
Why UnityPoint Health?
- Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
- Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
- Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work at https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org .
Patient Care/Care Coordination
- Makes visits to the homes of patients requiring home health nursing services and assumes responsibility for an ongoing interdisciplinary assessment of the patient when they are the case manager.
- Performs initial and comprehensive assessments on all patients in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
- Performs nursing assessment at each visit in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
- Ensures quality and safe delivery of services to patients according to the care plan. Uses equipment and supplies safely, effectively, and efficiently.
- Provides the services that are ordered by the physician as indicated in the plan of care.
- Provides patient, caregiver and family counseling and education as indicated in the plan of care. Provides patient and family education using UnityPoint approved patient teaching materials only.
- Develops and continually updates a plan of care that specifies the care and services required to meet patient-specific needs determined during the comprehensive assessment and includes measureable outcomes that will occur as a result of implementing and coordinating the plan of care.
- Develops and updates patient’s discharge plan on every visit ensuring patient and caregiver education and training is facilitating timely discharge and measureable goals and outcomes are attainable, realistic and up-to-date.
- Assesses the need for plan of care updates and every visit and includes the patient and family in care planning decisions and communicates care plan revisions to the patient, representative, caregiver and all physicians issuing orders for the home health plan of care.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation of clinical records and time/travel entries.
- Receives, relays and documents verbal orders in accordance with state and federal regulations and in a timely manner to prevent adverse patient outcomes.
- Is responsible for obtaining physician orders prior to initiation of care and notifying the physician of any changes in the patient’s condition.
- Communicates with all physicians involved in the plan of care and other health care practitioners related to the current plan of care.
- Identifies patient’s risks for hospitalization and/or emergency department use and proactively intervenes to prevent adverse events.
- Supervises home health aide and licensed practical nurse staff and documents supervision in the patient medical record.
Home Care Performance Criteria
- Delivers quality care and completes clear, concise and accurate clinical documentation of care provision in accordance with home health conditions of participation (CoPs), various payer home health coverage criteria, accreditation standards, professional standards for discipline/credential and the home health plan of care.
- Maintains competence in OASIS data collection and documentation and submits all initial and corrected assessments according to CMS guidance and agency policies and procedures.
- Participates in clinical review of records to monitor quality and accuracy, appropriate utilization, appropriate involvement of interdisciplinary team members, appropriate referrals and coordination of care.
- Participates in peer review and other quality assurance activities, as assigned.
- Uses appropriate infection control procedures and safety measure to protect employees and patients.
- Provides patient and family education using UnityPoint approved patient teaching materials only.
- Participates in case conferences, in-service programs and other meetings required to ensure coordinated and comprehensive care.
- Reviews all patient assignments prior to scheduling first visit and accepts patient assignments only for which qualified and competent in any specific care/technical skill/procedure needed.
- Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Participates in quality assurance/performance improvement (QAPI) activities, as assigned.
- Maintains professional knowledge for discipline/credential/license ensuring inclusion of content specific to home and community-based care.
- Communicates professionally, effectively and timely to all team members and co-workers and responds to all communication in a timely manner including, but not limited to e-mails, phone communication and meeting follow-up responsibilities.
- Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with team members, patients and family members while maintain personal and professional boundaries.
- Assist with new employee orientation when necessary.
- Effectively plans, organizes, sets priorities and completes works assignments with minimum direct supervision per agency policy and within established time frames.
- Maintains productivity standards as defined by home care supervisor.
- Meets or exceeds agency expected outcomes related to patient experience and hospitalization utilization.
- Participates in evening, night and weekend coverage to ensure nursing services are accessible to all patients 24 hours a day, 7 days per week (schedules and rotations determined by region).
- Performs other duties as assigned by home care clinical supervisor and/or administrator.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of accredited nursing program (Must obtain BSN within 5 years of hire)
Bachelor of Science (BSN) degree in Nursing
One year of prior nursing experience caring for similar patient population as to be assigned.
· Prior home care experience.
· Two or more years of prior RN experience caring for similar patient population as to be assigned.
· Prior experience with documentation in an electronic health record.
· Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in Iowa.
· Applies for RN license in Illinois within 12 months of start date.
· Valid licensed driver with automobile insurance in accordance with state(s) and/or organizational requirements.
· Mandatory Reporter: Child & Dependent Adult Abuse. Annual completion of competency validation activities.
· CPR: Maintain a valid Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Card with Re-certification.
Certificate for OASIS Specialist - Clinical (COS-C)
· Basic knowledge of current, frequently used medications, including modes of administration, actions and side effects.
· Competency in variety of nursing skills and ability to perform without supervision (NPWT, complex wound care, IV therapy, catheter care, ostomy care, chronic disease management assessment and teaching).
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work as a collaborative team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Ability to navigate and perform basic use of Microsoft Office products.
· Maintains a reliable mode of transportation and has the ability to drive safely during all day and night hours and in all types of inclement weather.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Area of Interest: Nursing;
- FTE/Hours per pay period: .80;
- Department: SN Visits- Home Care;
- Shift: Days, Monday - Friday, for 64 hours per pay period. There is a weekend/on-call rotation.;
- Job ID: 121661;